Asthma is an inflammatory disease that affects the airways of the lungs. Airway is basically a bronchial tube that provides a passage for the movement of air. In Asthma airway become inflamed due to which diameter of air canal decreases and person’s face extreme difficulty while breathing in and out. During exacerbation of Asthma, air passage gets narrow and the muscles surrounding it also tightens along with it there is secretion of mucus which makes breathing extremely difficult and very painful.
There can be following symptoms of Asthma:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
Sometimes these symptoms are mild and can easily be treated with mild treatment but when there is over exacerbation of these symptoms this can cause asthma attack and emergency care is usually required. In order to prevent the asthma attack, it is crucial to treat the initial symptoms as soon as possible.
It is crucial to understand that asthma is a manageable condition but not a curable. If a person is not having any signs and symptoms doesn’t mean he doesn’t have this disease condition. Asthma symptoms can appear at any time.
Exact causes of Asthma are unknown. However, it is believed that is due to some genetic and environmental factors. Following are a few of the causes:
- Tendency to develop allergy
- Parents with asthma
- Respiratory infections
- Exposure to respiratory allergen during the development of immune system.
There are also different kinds of asthma which include:
- Allergy-induced asthma: in this type body is sensitive with a particular allergen and when it comes in contact with allergen, an autoimmune reaction is generated which can cause narrowing of the air passage leading to difficulty in breathing.
- Exercise-induced asthma: usually occur when a person is exercising and this causes bronchoconstriction.
- Occupational-induced asthma: it is due to irritants which are present at workplace like chemicals, dust etc.
There can be people who are at increased risk of getting asthma and it includes:
- Those who have had previous respiratory infections
- Other allergic condition of body like skin allergy
- Exposure to fumes
- Exposure to chemicals
There can be many serious complications of asthma and it includes:
- Permanent narrowing of bronchial tube
- Clinical manifestation that interferes with sleep and work
- Poor work performance
- Adverse effects of therapeutic drugs.
The only to prevent from short and long term complication is by having proper treatment. If asthma is due to allergy then keeping your body away from such kind of allergen is the best way to prevent getting asthma attacks. Taking the prescribed medications on time can also protect you from the exacerbation of asthma symptoms. But the most important guidance is the treat the initial symptoms on occurrence because it can later become severe that can be fatal and life threating.
Asthma is usually treated with long term medication and quick relive medication. Long term medication prevents the inflammation of bronchial tract and quick relieve medications are given upon severe asthma symptoms, these medications are also known as rescue medications.
Asthma is not an unknown condition nowadays. There are many people who are having this problem and usually, they lack the simplest yet essential information regarding their condition. Therefore, via this article, we want to raise the awareness about this condition.
You can study more about Asthma, follow the below-mentioned sources.